Sunday, August 19, 2012

Recipe #5: Dad's Bruschetta

My dad has told me about these snacks so often I finally decided to try making them myself....I used a loaf of Kroger French Bread but he prefers some good baguette.

In addition to the bread, you will need
some extra virgin olive oil
2 or 3 garden tomatoes
1/2 c. fresh basil
1 clove garlic
2 c. shredded mozzarella

Slice the bread and toast each slice. When the toast pops out, rub a clove of garlic all over each one. Just rub, dearheart, rub like there is no tomorrow. Then paint both sides with extra virgin olive oil, cover one side liberally with shredded mozzarella and let rest on a non-stick cookie sheet.
Meanwhile, gather about 15 basil leaves from the garden and two or three plum tomatoes and dice these up fine together. Dad uses a food processor but I don't have one so I use my sharp chef's knife. Mix well.
Broil the bread so that the cheese melts golden brown, about 6-8 minutes, then add tomato mixture to the top of each slice. Serve immediately and enjoy.

Thanks, Dad!

No comments: