Saturday, March 10, 2012

#148 The Lutheran Hymnal

Lord Jesus Christ, My Life, My Light

Many of these long meter hymns have accidentals in the third line...

Text: Luke 23:33 O Jesus Christ, mein's Lebens Licht, Martin Behm, 1610
Translated by Catherine Winkworth, 1858

Lord Jesus Christ, my Life, my Light, My Strength by day, my Trust by night, 
On earth I'm but a passing guest And sorely with my sins opprest.

Far off I see my father land, Where thro' Thy blood I hope to stand. 
But ere I reach that Paradise, A weary way before me lies.

Oh let Thy holy wounds for me Clefts in the rock forever be
Where as a dove my soul can hide And safe from Satan's rage abide.

And when my spirit flies away, Thy dying words shall be my stay.
Thy cross shall be my staff in life Thy holy grave my rest from strife.


No comments: