Thursday, September 3, 2009

Come, Holy Spirit, and fill the hearts of your faithful...

Autumnal sights, sounds, smells on a fabulous Thursday morning. A cool, cool morning greeted me, the red dawn encroaching on my slumber; the truck windows were covered with dew, as was the grass. Just hints of color in the trees (green is beautiful, but 'color' is the highlight, the climax, if you will, of the year) and the late-season perennials are in bloom. Missing yet are the oblong wheeled yellow cheeses: those socially stimulating transportation devices so necessary of our compulsory education system. Soon they too will be out in their masses, and we will know, officially, that fall has fallen upon us.
Ahhhhhh.
Well, events...
Finally retrieved my Ram from New Buffalo. But it needed a battery, having sat all summer without starting. And it was probably going bad yep. So me and my sweetie rented a Focus, drove from Brighton to New Buffalo, paid the handsome remake-the-transmission fee, and followed each other briefly on I-94 until I took the turn northward near St. Joseph. But the guy at the shop said not to turn the vehicle off even when i have to gas up. Hmmmmm. It wanted to die every time I slowed down so I'd shift to neutral and rever up. Until i had to get gas; couldn't hardly pump the gas AND hold down the eggzelerator could I?!? But glory to God it started every time it died. Got to Ludville (about a half hour from my destination) and passed a NAPA and checked the price and it really didn't matter what the price was but thankfully i thought it reasonable (?). The nice guys there let me use their rachets and with a twist of the ignition key and a brief prayer OH did she purrrrrr!. So I'm good now, except for the broken sway bar up front and the shot shocks and the lack of muffler (this, it must be understood, is not really an exception to the 'good'ness, just makes it loud) and perhaps the alternator but i'm probably fine on that since i now have a brand new battrie.
Seven preps this year. [To teachers that sentence means something; for the rest of you, translate "i'm teaching seven different classes this year and for each one i am responsible for planning, purveying myriads of information to children with multiple learning styles and proclivities, coming up with creative assingments and the rubriks to assess these assignments, and returning these assignments in a timely manner, as well as communicating meaningfully to parents regarding the general lack of motivation, effort, or cognitive capacity of their product of love.] Had six last year. My cousing in a bigger district has like 2: Chem and AP Chem. It's all good, they're calling it 'Overload' and paying me extra. It's all good.
Back to work...

No comments: