Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Recipe # 15

This is a rub recipe I found for the pork tenderloin I got at Meijer and decided to grill up this past Sunday. I did not trim the fat from the loin, and I also forgot to sear all the sides.

Searing, I found, is important. Without the sear, you lose much flavor, AND, the juices of this very lean cut of meat will run out. As a result, the meat ended up being tougher than I would have preferred.
I also cooked it until it was white all through, something I don't normally do. It read at least 150 degrees F everywhere I checked; usually I pull it off the grill when it starts getting near 145 - and then let it rest under a foil tent.

I didn't realize just how much juice this cut lost until the following day when I was going to cook brats and burgers on my charcoal grill. I lit the briquettes and waited about ten minutes for them to get pretty hot before shutting the lid to get the grilling surface nice and hot. When I came back out a couple minutes later, the temp on the grill hood read over 700 degrees F and the entire charcoal pan was in flames!

Do be careful, one and all.

Here's the list of items for the rub:

2 tsp ground cumin
2 tsp brown sugar
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp ground cayenne powder
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes

Combine in a small bowl. Set the loin on a large platter and apply the rub evenly to cover the entire roast. I let it sit about 40 minutes at room temperate before cooking.

The charcoal I kept heaped on the left. Sear the meat here, then cook it with the vents open on the right (indirect heat).  I went about 40 minutes on each side and then maybe 20 minutes more overall, for this 3 pound hunk of pork.

Do let it rest for a bit under foil before you slice it. I enjoyed the meat with grilled bi-color corn and a bit of potato salad.


Thanking God daily for His provision.


No comments: