Saturday, February 23, 2013

Day 11

To-day's Gospel, from Matthew 5, tells me to love my enemy.

So easy to say, so hard to consistently do.

We also read from Deuteronomy: 'Moses spoke to the people, saying:
“This day the LORD, your God,
commands you to observe these statutes and decrees.
Be careful, then,
to observe them with all your heart and with all your soul.
Today you are making this agreement with the LORD:
he is to be your God and you are to walk in his ways
and observe his statutes, commandments and decrees,
and to hearken to his voice.'

And from Psalms 119: Blessed are they who follow the law of the LORD.

And now this law says to love my enemy.

If I asked Jesus what He means by 'enemy', I know what He'd say.


LORD, I believe You have given me the grace to do this, yet I ask for more, yes more.
I believe You have equipped me but I still fail and fall and choose not to love, so I ask for mercy in Your judgment.
I believe You lead me so that I have opportunities to love an enemy at different times in my day; give me a renewed portion of Your good Spirit, along with an enthusiastic desire to follow your decrees. Forgive my lack of trust, and my lack of faith.
Because love does not coexist with fear. They are mutually exclusive, like disjoint sets A and B.
More of You, Jesus, more of You.
Amen

 

No comments: