Saturday, July 30, 2016

I am stuffed

I really love mushrooms.

This must be distinctly understood, or nothing wonderful can come of the story I am going to relate.


And I found this out via my best friend Kevin when I was a young spry 20 year old. We had been hiking in the Allegan woods for days, eating MRE's and dried things the names of which I cannot remember. At some point we decided to leave the woods and get some real food; we found a diner not far away. What we ate I also cannot remember, except for a large oval plate of fried mushrooms - covered in a batter crust and greasy hot. We devoured our food quietly, and I will never forget that meal.


Thank you to Ree Drummond, aka The Pioneer Woman, for this recipe. I will present it in its fullness as I approached it from my kitchen in Whitmore Lake, Michigan, but she gave me the idea.

The ingredients are all to be found in the fridge or pantry: 

salt

ground turkey

fresh sage

chopped sage


chopped thyme

rosemary



To make the sausage, I used a pound of ground turkey, and much seasoning.



a cold beverage is essential during the cooking process

garlic and onion for the stuffing

Kroger is our favorite
pull the stems out of your shrooms

cook the sausage, until it is no longer uncooked

at this point, it is smelling like sausage. when it is cooked remove it to a bowl

cook the diced onion and garlic in the same pan

add a bit of the chicken broth - or use white wine like Ree does

add those chopped up mushroom stems

cook

and then remove to a plate for cooling


in a clean bowl, start with an egg yolk and a brick of softened cream cheese

mix together and add about a cup of Parmesan cheese


then add the sausage to the bowl

mix well

keep mixing weller

then add the chopped mushroom stems

oh it is looking almost ready


shove the mixture into each of the caps

ready for the grill

our Kroger corn, also ready for the grill

the grill, getting ready for the corn and shrooms

love that warming rack
yum, yum, yum




land of the moving daisies

No comments: