Sunday, February 21, 2016

Recipe #187:Boneless Chuck Roast Rub For Grilling

We have done so many pot roasts, stews, chilis and such this past winter, I wanted to try something different. I was mostly prompted by an episode of Diners, Drivethroughs, and Dives the night before, which featured several shops doing sandwiches with shaved meat cooked with a dry rub. Each place built the rub differently, and each had my mouth watering in anticipation.
So yestreday morning I grabbed a bag of Kingsford Mesquite charcoal and a three pound hunk of meat from the nice man at our Chilson Commons Kroger.

For the rub (and these quantities aren't perfectly accurate - i made enough to liberally cover my three pound chunk of beef:

1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
tsp chili powder
tsp ground cumin
tsp paprika
tsp onion powder
tsp garlic powder
tsp ground black pepper
tsp salt
pinches each of the following dried herbs from our garden:
pineapple sage
garden sage
rosemary
mother of thyme

I whisked it all together and then rubbed this into all sides of the roast, then refrigerated for about four hours in a plastic bag.
Let it come back to room temperature for about an hour before throwing on the grill.

As soon as the grill temp was up to about 200, I started the meat on the indirect side,  letting the direct side get fully hot. Then I seared all sides for a couple minutes - don't forget to grease your grill iron - giving it some good color all over.
I put the meat back on the indirect cook side and let it go, checking the temp every forty minutes or so. I let it get up to 150 in the thickest part, which is close to medium or medium-rare.
I let it rest on a platter covered with foil for probably twenty minutes before slicing.
We had the meat with some potatoes-mushrooms-onions seasoned with my version of Montreal Chicken seasoning which I also did on the grill,  and this meal did not disappoint.

Blessed be God forever!

No comments: