Sunday, March 23, 2014

Prayer From a Troubled Heart

"Have mercy on my, God, in accord with your merciful love; in your abundant compassion blot out my transgressions. Thoroughly wash away my guilt; and from my sin cleanse me. For I know my transgressions; my sin is always before me. Against you, you alone have I sinned; I have done what is evil in your eyes..."
~From King David, Psalm 51


Almighty God, I confess it is so difficult for me to love my wife. I feel the need to point out how wrong she is, especially when she so damnably argues she is right.
By Your grace, allow me to give this up. Allow me to set free forever the desire to be right, and to show others wrong. Allow me to see past her words and actions into the heart of Your daughter, into her soul. Bring me down off whatever it is I still cling to, LORD; tune me into a work of holiness.
You have made it clear to me that I cannot do this by myself, and it appears that my method of asking for your help (as I have been doing for twenty years) is also lacking somehow.

I am lost.
I have no recourse but to trust You and Your infinite wisdom.
I know You are shaping me moment by moment, but when will the moment come that I can love my wife the way I am called to??  

Please deliver me from my self. Please change my into a lover of people.

I ask this in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit Amen

No comments: