Saturday, February 8, 2020

Recipe #13: Interesting Chili

Interesting because I wanted to use up food we had in the pantry and in the fridge - i like one-pot meals for doing this. This was perfect for a lonely Friday night, as my sweetie was out of town.
Our local meat guy does up ground breakfast sausage pretty regularly, so that was the only item I purchased on the way home; I knew the ground turkey was already thawed and ready as well.

Ingredients:

1 lb ground turkey
1 lb ground sausage
1 turn of the pan Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 white onion diced
3 garlic cloves minced
1 medium avocado diced
1/2 lb asparagus chopped into bite sized pieces
1/2 lb sliced mushrooms
1 can black beans
1/2 lb heirloom tomatoes, processed
1 small can tomato paste
1 can chicken broth
Chili powder, cumin, oregano, garlic powder, paprika to taste


I started the sausage, onion, and garlic in the EVOO and in the chili pot. On the other front burner I fried the ground turkey until cooked through, then added the black beans, fresh mushrooms and seasoning.

I added the other canned items, avocado, and tomato sauce then to the large pot, and brought it all up to a boil, then added the ground turkey mixture.





I added the asparagus last, let it roll for about ten minutes, then turned the fire all the way down. It simmered maybe for a half hour, but even on low it started to catch on the bottom, so I transferred the whole batch back to the T-Fal pot and called it good.

I didn't break up the sausage much so there are huge chunks in with the finely ground turkey and sauce. In fact it boiled down so much, I actually ate my second bowl with a fork.

The fresh tomato sauce gave it a good tomato taste, and because I didn't add any beer, there wasn't any bitterness. Maybe too much cumin, I still don't have a good feel for the correct paprika/chili powder/cumin ratio in my Mexican dishes.


We are abundantly blessed in so many ways, and I am thankful for a tasty hot meal on a snowy February Friday night.





No comments: