Wednesday, August 12, 2015

'Cuz I Can

I woke up this morning and the first thing I noticed right in front of my face was the mattress tag.

The cover sheet had been pulled off (I'm a violent sleeper) and there it was - ancient, frayed, mostly unreadable; its intent clear though: 'IT IS UNLAWFUL TO REMOVE THIS TAG'.

I hadn't even had a cup of coffee, or my fiber shake, but I ripped it off.

I took the tag in broad daylight and ripped it.

And if it had been like four am, I would have been back to sleep in an instant, with no remorse whatsoever.


I was told by my therapist several years ago that I have a propensity for acting as though the rules don't apply to me.


The experience this morning, though, was liberating.
Suffer the consequences, come what may, I felt good.

And isn't that what it's all about?

Aren't we taught this?


I'm worth it.

Please, please me.

I deserve a break to-day.




And so, on my way back from picking up my Walmart insulin at lunchtime, I treated myself to an Arby's chicken sandwich with cheese and lots of produce, a way too large container of greasy curly fries, and at least 24 ounces of diet Mountain Dew... because I deserve it.

: /





No comments: