The Lutheran Hymnal #540
1. With the Lord begin thy task, Jesus will direct it;
For His aid and counsel ask, Jesus will perfect it.
Ev'ry morn with Jesus rise, And when day is ended,
In His name then close thine eyes; Be to Him commended.
2. Let each day begin with prayer, Praise, and adoration;
On the Lord cast ev'ry care, He is thy Salvation.
Morning, evening, and at night Jesus will be near thee,
Save thee from the Tempter's might, With His presence cheer thee.
3. With thy Savior at thy side, Foes need not alarm thee
In His promises confide, And no ill can harm thee.
All thy trust do thou repose In the mighty Master,
Who in wisdom truly knows How to stem disaster
4. If thy task be thus begun With the Savior's blessing,
Safely then thy course will run, Naught thy soul distressing.
Good will follow everywhere While thou here must wander;
Thou at last the joy wilt share In the mansions yonder.
5. Thus, Lord Jesus, every task Be to Thee commended;
May Thy will be done, I ask, Until life is ended.
Jesus, in Thy name begun Be the day's endeavor;
Grant that it may well be done To Thy praise forever.
Fang dein Werk mit Jesu an
German author unknown, 1734
Re., W. Gustave Polack, 1937
Fand dein Werk
Peter Frank, 1657