Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Wednesday musings...

A mix of (very little) Sacred and (the overwhelming majority) Secular Christmas music has already been playing on 100.3 in Detroit round the clock for a couple weeks, I think.

Some I could listen to any time of the year:

Do You Hear What I Hear
The Little Drummer Boy
Merry Christmas - Canon
Exerts from the Hallelujah chorus
You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch
Anything sung by Bing Crosby (with or without Bowie!) or Burl Ives
Santa Baby
Anything from A Charlie Brown Christmas
Rudolf the Red Nosed Reindeer reminds me of the nieces and nephews at Christmas ("like Monopoly!")
The Chipmunk Song ("ALVIN?!??!?!?!?!") 
So This is Christmas I have only recently come to love, due to my nephew, Carlos
Anything by Mannheim Steamroller or the Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Bare Naked Ladies feat. Sarah McLachlan: God Rest Ye Merry/We Three Kings

Nat King Cole's The Christmas Song

 are all cool.

But there are some songs that are not so cool:

Blue Christmas makes me want to vomit violently
The moon is right, the spirits up makes me want to break things
Little Saint Nick is barely tolerable, until the 'Christmas comes this time each year' repeats ad nauseum (To a disgusting or ridiculous degree; to the point of nausea) at the end






No comments: