Friday, July 26, 2013

Recipe #4

This is almost too simple to call it a real 'recipe' but I so thoroughly enjoyed this last night (and again to-day for lunch) that I'm actually typing it out...

I started with about 2 pounds of chicken breasts from my local market. I was on the way home from work last night and I knew we had a big salad that I could add some grilled chicken to. I didn't want to wait for a marinade to work on the meat so I seasoned them and just let them rest at room temp until the coals were ready. I used a generous dousing of Private Selections garlic/black pepper grinder that i bought from Kroger, and rosemary that i harvested about two weeks ago, let dry for about a week, then placed in my spice jars from the dollar store. I don't use a thermometer normally for chicken, but I cooked these six breasts over direct heat for about a half hour total. I moved to the second shelf (bun warmer) rack as the skin was getting browned sufficiently and these were still quite juicy.

If you're a 'list' person and don't need the commentary, here's the bare-bones recipe:

Bone-in chicken breasts
Fresh ground pepper and garlic
Dried rosemary

Grill for 15 minutes direct then flip once. Cook to 160 degrees. Let chicken rest under tented tin foil for a couple minutes. Eat.

{What follows is my narrative on seasoning meat and fish for grilling:}

For years, I would use salt, pepper, and seasoning salt (Lawrey's) and garlic salt to season everything. There was nothing else (unless I was making spaghetti, and I used 'Italian Seasoning').
Salt became a public enemy so I deleted it and changed the garlic salt to garlic powder. 
Then, as I matured as a cooker, I discovered herbs and fresh garlic, wonder of wonders!
Now, I grow and cook with sage, parsley, oregano, thyme, basil, rosemary, chives, and dill.
The dill and chives give that perfect flavor to my potato salad, and I use the basil for amazing bruschetta. The sage I use mostly at Thanksgiving time for the bird and also in my stuffing.
And, to my wife's dismay, I like to experiment alot!

No comments: