Friday, October 8, 2021

October 1993

 Watching Michigan at Wisconsin from 30 October 1993, and I couldn't remember the name of the Michigan quarterback in that game (Todd Collins). I began thinking back on what was going on in my life back then...

I think I had removed myself from television altogether by this point, so I surely wasn't watching too many games. I remember a conversation with my brother at about that time in my life, he told me that it was ok to watch college football - God told him so. Well, almost 30 years later, I am still taking that advice.

In the fall of 1993, I had just begun my first year teaching at the West Highland Christian Academy in Milford: advanced algebra, 'senior' math, boy's Bible, biology (the one I struggled most with), chemistry, and earth science - with those adorable 7th and 8th graders (the one I enjoyed the most :-). After school coaching for the winter season probably had not started yet, but oh was that to be an experience! 
I had been out of school for six years, living in Cousin Bob's 400 sf cottage on Bitten Lake in Hartland MI. The home had an upstairs with a shower and a huge closet; there was a front room on the main floor with nice windows that I had my desk in - for studying and correspondence. The sitting room had a fireplace, built-in wooden book cases, and French doors out to a screened-in patio partly over-looking the lake down the tree covered hill. 
I had made friends with many of the local kids in the neighborhood, and I remember many friendly snowball fights there. I did not eat the pears from the seven or eight trees on the property, and I did not fish the lake very often. I wrote music, and smoked cigarettes, and prepped nightly for my six classes. I remember being jealous of my cousin who taught AP Chemistry five hours a day in a big public school district. :-)

 

No comments: