Thursday, August 20, 2020

Recipe # 27 Mexican Strata

 I think I may be racist. Have I written about this before?? Anyhoo, I built this more or less from leftovers last night and we both loved it. I even have some for lunch to-day.

I had made the salsa the night before, then cooked the meat right before I layered everything.

You can leave the seeds in or even add other kinds of peppers for different heat/flavor levels. Also, I used four different varieties of tomatoes for the salsa (mostly sweet ones), so this could be amended towards your families likes and dislikes as well.

I cooked the meat and then set aside, then started the oven at 350 while i shredded the cheese. The top was covered with cotija cheese, which I had never heard of before a couple weeks ago, but I had it in a taco from a local taqueria. 


1 turn of the pan EVOO

1 # Ground turkey

2 jalapeno peppers seeded and diced

2 sahuaro peppers seeded and diced

1 ear of good local sweet corn

½ red onion diced

2 garlic cloves diced

 

Turn of the pan EVOO

1 large boneless chicken breast diced

Tsp chili powder

Tsp garlic powder

 

Salsa

Garden tomatoes

2 jalapeno seeded

2 sahuaro seeded

Tsp cumin

Tsp oregano

Tbs cider vinegar

Blend until desired consistency

 

Small brick of cotija cheese shredded

6 oz montery jack shredded

8 oz Colby jack cheese shredded

 

1 cup of tortilla chips

2 8” flour tortilla cut into 1” strips

 

9x13 glass bake pan with non-stick spray; to build, layer

 Chips

Turkey meat mixture

Salsa

Colby cheese

Tortillas

Chicken meat

Salsa

White cheese

 

Bake 25 minutes or until top cheese begins to turn brown.

Sprinkle with some chopped green onion, and serve with guacamole and sour cream.

 

 

No comments: