Sunday, September 22, 2019

musings

Still very little color change in the foliage here in southeast Lower Michigan. Our sedums are stunning maroon (?) and the crab apple's leaves are yellowing a bit (as are the bamboo's) but still looking in any one direction you see less than one percent color. Beautiful mind you, and I'm certainly not complaining at all.
We made our first batch of chili yestreday (use the search queue for chili above for my variations over past eight years;) this season. With a dollop of sour cream on top, so good and flavorful. I wonder if it might do any good in one of the many chili cook-offs we have around these parts (and everywhere else, I imagine).

My mother asked if we had seen any hummers lately, and I began thinking that I surely hadn't - not for a couple days anyway. The water was cloudy so I brewed up a fresh small batch yestreday, but still I have seen none. I was hoping the warm weekend (mid-eighty highs and mid-sixty lows) would encourage a straggler or two to stop and indulge. Either way, we have seen more birds this year than ever before, with just our one feeder. More birds, and more groups of birds - we have both seen up to five at a time dancing and singing and scolding each other. The precision with which they rocket around my head and then off south around the plum tree and over the neighbors house is daunting. Imagine a helicopter shrunk down a million times, and all decorated in green, white, black and red feathers, and then it flying two or three inches from  your noggin whilest you try to watch with your jaw dropped.
I did not do too well this year photographing the dancing but I have several good stills of them feeding.












I was just looking back out our photos over the past six months. April and our Spartans lost to Texas Tech in the Final Four. In May Joslin took her First Communion and we got our annuals and herbs in the ground, and a new faucet in the kitchen, Moni got her new Jeep :-).

Praise and honor and glory to the One and Only God, the Father Almighty, Maker of heaven and Earth. All praise to You: Father, Son, and Holy Spirit; alleluia, alleluia!!





No comments: