Sunday, April 1, 2018

Recipe #115 - Canta el Gallo Sandwich

I made a fruitful trip this beautiful Easter morning to Dexter, where we like to shop at the County Market ( https://bit.ly/2Gtlgfu ). Alas, the Country Market was not open on this glorious morn, but the POS Busch's was across the street. (Please consider this an absolute non-endorsement for this grocer. Over-priced from avocado to zip-lock, I cannot fathom why anyone would purposefully shop at Bush's if they had any choice at all.)

I was able to score four fresh onion buns that I thought I would enjoy later with some lunchmeat.

Well, I surely was not buying lunch meat at this establishment, so I came home with my cat litter, Buffalo Trace, and overpriced plain yogurt.

I began the kitchen festivities then with some pasta sauce:
In a tablespoon of EVOO, I sauteed one yellow onion diced, one green bell pepper diced, four garlic cloves diced, and one pound of ground Jennie-O turkey.
As the meat was simmering, I added 8 ounces of sliced mushrooms and one half of a beautiful 2 pound Heirloom tomato diced up. Then I added the jar of Ragu Bold and Spicy sauce.

Seasoned with dried basil and oregano, and with a bag of frozen broccoli and cauliflower thrown in  for good vegetable-measure, I left this on low for about an hour.

There was some boneless chicken breast I had pulled out of the freezer a couple days ago and wanted to use up, so I thought - hey, how about a sammich?!?


I butterflied the chicken and seasoned it with my garden herb mix, and then fried in a little EVOO-laden Copper Chef pan. 








I topped the chicken with some sliced Munster cheese at the end. The pricey onion bun I dressed with some salad dressing and slices of the aforementioned good-ass tomato.




I then poured a ladle of the sauce over the meat, and took a couple photos.



That Muenster cheese really compliments the tomato sauce and chicken, the buns didn't disintegrate with all the sauce (worth the five buck pricetag :-), and the tomatoes didn't fall apart during the devouring process.

This is going to be the premier sandwich on our menu, when we open our diner.


Soli Deo gloria!


No comments: