Monday, March 26, 2018

My

I wanted to use my grill this past Palm Sunday and I had some chicken thighs to use up, so I came up with the idea to 'smoke' them - to see if that'd be any good :-)
I made a fire using Kingsford Mesquite briquettes making up about half of my stack. As soon as i had cleaned the grill, I put on my eight seasoned thighs, a couple of shucked ears of sweet corn, my potato bundle, and my asparagus bundle. I saw how little room these took up in that monster grill of mine, so I quickly pulled some thickass pork chops out of the freezer - so as to not waste the charcola - and let them warm up in some water. When I could separate the chops (but with them almost entirely still frozen), I threw them on the grill, probably after the other things had been smoking for an hour or so. The temp did get to about 300 (so is that still called 'smoking'?) and I was in no hurry to eat, so i let it go - periodically checking and adding charcoal. I took a couple of naps during the first NCAA regional final; overall I'd guestimate the chicken and bundles were in there about four hours. Toward the end, I put on two ground chuck patties infused with diced mushrooms, and then covered with swiss cheese. When these were done (not very long for RARE), I took everything off the grill and punched my ticket to FlavorTown with a big plate.
Alas, the pork, while appearing absolutely perfect, was not done. I couldn't tell when I was devouring the first chop, but I surely could later as I was forced into my porcelain-seated office for what seemed like a Paleozoic eon.
I called my sweetie to alert her to the fact that I would be trying to sleep this plague off, and hopped in bed by about 8:00 that evening. No tv, no movies, no radio; and even after my several game naps earlier in the day, I slept through a good portion of the night. I felt much better, too, so I was thankful.
Lesson learned: ... make sure the meat is cooked.

pax

No comments: