Sunday, January 7, 2018

Recipe # 47 Easy Spring-form Taco Salad Cake

I got the idea for this one from Steven Raichlen's Project Smoke, as seen on your favorite public television network. This guy barbecues everything, and is always coming up with new recipes for different ways to grill and smoke great food. Considering it was about four degrees outside when I made this dish, I thought it best to use my trusty Whirlpool gas range, instead of my Char Griller grill and smoker out on the deck.

Ingredients:
For the meat ~
Just over a pound of 70/30 ground beef
1 cup diced onions
1 cup diced green, yellow, orange, and red peppers
Taco seasoning: chili powder, ground cumin, ground black pepper, garlic powder

For the cake~
canola oil spray
corn chips smashed into small pieces
about a cup of your favorite salsa
2 cups of shredded extra sharp cheddar cheese
2 jalapenos, sliced
fresh vegetables diced up: bell pepper and red onion
dollop of sour cream
Several tablespoons of Wishbone Deluxe French salad dressing

For serving~
Shredded lettuce
Diced tomatoes

Preheat the oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.

I then added the meat, vegetables, and seasoning to my best T-Fal fry pan, stirred it frequently and broke up the meat until cooked through, about 15 minutes. I drained the grease before creating the cake.



In a ten-inch spring-form cheesecake pan sprayed with canola oil, I began the first layer with the crushed chips,

then the meat,


then the fresh vegetables and salsa,


then the shredded cheese.



I did another layer of all the items, and then topped it with the remaining meat.


About a half hour at 275 and the cheese had melted just enough. You could go longer if you want but keep an eye on it - you don't want anything to burn.

I took the side of the cake pan off and served each wedge over a bed of shredded lettuce and diced tomatoes, and topped with sour cream. The dressing is optional, sometimes I like it and sometimes (like when the cheese is good and melty) I don't need it.



Steven Raichlan adds black beans to this dish, and I would have also except I didn't have any when I made it.


Blessings and peace to you and yours; let me know if you liked this one!


No comments: