Saturday, April 30, 2011

On movies

Cats and Dogs: Revenge of Kitty Galore makes me laugh out loud. I have lived most of my life as either a cat or dog's person (often both) and find their facial expressions and comments so funny in this film.Thank you, Brad Peyton, for going so anti-hollywood by leaving out every asinine sexual reference, thank you.

Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame with Charles Laughton and Maureen O'hara is superb. Completed during "Hollywood's Greatest Year" (along with Mr. Smith Goes to Washington, The Wizard of Oz, Gone with the Wind, and Wuthering Heights),  'tis a tale of Beauty and the Beast set in 15th century Paris. The final line of the film just floored me: Quasimodo, while watching the beautiful Esmeralda, whose life he saved, ride off into the sunset with her husband, inquires of the gargoyle he leans against: "Why was I not made of stone like thee?"  Brought me to tears.

No comments: