Sunday, January 19, 2020

One Bread that has fed us


Second Sunday of Ordinary Time, between CHRISTmas and Easter; this morning we sang Praise to the Lord .




Praise to the Lord, the Almighty , the King of Creation!
O my soul, praise Him, for He is thy Health and Salvation!
Jon the full throng; Wake, harp and psalter and song;
Sound forth in glad adoration!

Praise to the Lord, Who o're all things so wondrously reigneth,
Who as on wings of an eagle, uplifteth, sustaineth.
Has thou not seen How thy desires all have been
Granted in what he ordaineth?

Praise to the Lord, Who hath fearfully, wondrously made thee;
Health has vouchsafed and, when heedlessly falling hath stayed thee.
What need or grief Ever hath failed of relief?
Wings of His mercy did shade thee.

Praise to the Lord, Who doth proper thy work and defend thee,
How from the heavens the streams of His mercy doth send thee.
Ponder anew what The Almighty can do!
Who with His love doth befriend thee.

Praise to the Lord! Oh, let all that is in me adore Him!
All that hath life and breath, come now with praises before Him!
Let the Amen sound from His people again;
Gladly for aye we adore him.

Neh. 9:6
Lobe den Herren, den machtigen
Joachim Neander, 1679
Tr., Catherine Windkworth, 1863, alt.
Lobe den Herren, den
"Ernsuertes Gesangbuch"
Stalsund, 1665

First Line:Praise to the Lord! the Almighty, the King of creation!
Title:Praise to the Lord, the Almighty
German Title:Lobe den Herren den mächtigen König
Author:Joachim Neander (1680)
Translator:Catherine Winkworth (1863)
Meter:14.14.4.7.8

Then, we read from Psalm 40

. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
I have waited, waited for the LORD,
and he stooped toward me and heard my cry.
And he put a new song into my mouth,
a hymn to our God.
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
Sacrifice or offering you wished not,
but ears open to obedience you gave me.
Holocausts or sin-offerings you sought not;
then said I, "Behold I come."
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
"In the written scroll it is prescribed for me,
to do your will, O my God, is my delight,
and your law is within my heart!"
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.
I announced your justice in the vast assembly;
I did not restrain my lips, as you, O LORD, know.
R. Here am I, Lord; I come to do your will.


We sang Sent Forth By God's Blessing



Sent forth by God's blessing, our true faith confessing, The people of God from his dwelling take leave. God's sacrifice ended, O now be extended The fruits of this Mass in all hearts who believe. The seed of his teaching, our inner souls reaching, Shall blossom in action for God and for all. His grace shall incite us, his love shall unite us To further God's kingdom and answer his call. With praise and thanksgiving, to God who is living, The tasks of our ev'ryday life we embrace. Our faith ever sharing, in love ever caring, We claim as our neighbor all those of each race. One bread that has fed us, one light that has led us Unite us as one in this life that we share. Then may all the living with praise and thanksgiving Give honor to Christ and his name that we bear.

The lyrics have changed I see, since I first sang it at Greenfield Peace Lutheran as a young lad, but the harmonies are still rich and true.

Sent Forth by God's Blessing · Omer Westendorf Journeysongs Third Edition: Volume 24 ℗ 2012 OCP. All rights reserved. All selections BMI. Released on: 2012-05-01 Music Publisher: OCP

No comments: