Thursday, December 19, 2019

To my friend Kevin~

Rest in peace; or if you are not dead and not incapacitated somewhere, rest in agony; for your lack of response, although not totally unprecedented, is quite maddening.

If you are laid up somewhere dying with no charger for your phone, then please forgive me, and disregard these last thoughts.

For it was you who taught me to cook fish  seasoned and in foil, in the embers of our fire.

Together we perfected the tee-pee fire and there was not one that we could not light.

You introduced me to snorkeling, and fishing while doing so, as well as wrist-rocket frogging.

The un-dead dogfish, the talking catfish, and the tastes-like-chicken turtle were ours to share.

I will be reminded of you every fire I light, and ever reel I cast.

Our eighty four inch sucker must have weighed in at a record-breaking six thousand pounds, but alas there were no phones with cameras in those days.

The flaming dog will be remembered, along with the land of the angry negro.

The trails and reservoir of Allegan woods was ours, in spite of the woman who wanted to swim now.


Rest in peace, old friend, if you are indeed dead. The next campfire I light using Coghlan's Fire Starters, I will drink to you and us, like we said we should.


No comments: