Sunday, November 15, 2020

 I have had very few events in my life that would be considered 'life-changing'. I have never had a broken bone or lost a very close loved one or been hit by a car or a falling piano. Our Lord let me deal with diabetes, heart failure, and partial blindness; and hopefully these have helped draw me closer to Him, but they certainly haven't pushed me hard enough to make the life long changes I know I should make. 

I still have a very strong affinity towards pizza and bourbon. I remember when I was first diagnosed with diabetes melitus, one friend told me I will have to give up pizza. That was thirty years ago, and my average monthly DEP (days eating pizza) are probably higher now than then. In fact I guarantee it's higher now than then. I trained myself to seek out and frequent establishments that provided slices of pizza with minimal to no wait time. The first one I can remember is Toaramino's on Ford Rd in Dearborn Heights back in the 90's - their slices were wrapped in foil to keep them moist and were about 16 inches long. Oh even as I type I am drooling, mercy!

Driving across State to various jobs has allowed me to investigate and frequent the finest pizza Michigan has to offer: Shepherd Bar (didn't have slices, but the best THICK crust pies) Fowlerville Grand Nickel party store, St John gas station, Bear Lake Blarney Castle right across from the lake, Ellen's Corners in Mesick had seven or eight pies to choose from, The Cabin just west of Mt Pleasant had phenomenal pizza, along with the coldest tap beer. Stofer Rd Marathon on N Territorial used to have fantastic slices but have moved into a bigger building and now host Ultimate Pizza and Chicken, whose chicken tenders are exceptional. There was a dirty little gas station on Whitmore Lake Rd in Brighton that I hadn't been in ever until about a year ago. They had a girl come in and bring her baked goods and pizza to sell - it was pretty darn good. East of town, the Brighton Market sells fried chicken, sandwiches, and of course great slices. Gus' Pizza in town also sells pretty good slices at their little shop on Grand River. On the west end, O'Connor's Deli has very good pizza slices along with cheese bread, and their very pricy garlic dip.

I must say, I grow weary of these monkeyshines.



No comments: