Friday, September 20, 2013

Recipe # 52 - Tremendous Taco Salad

This event began the night before as my neighbor brought over a bag of green and red peppers from his garden for us. Next morning at work, boss comes up the stairs with 'I brought ya somthin' and a big smile on his face: fresh from his garden green peppers and lime colored banana peppers. Then a quarter in the slot to get a cart to hold the remaining items that I found at Aldi in Brighton.

Ingredients:

Blue and Yellow corn chips
two glugs of extra virgin olive oil
2.16 lb ground beef
1 medium yellow onion chopped
1 can diced tomatoes drained
3 small red, 3 small green, and 1 banana pepper chopped
3 large cloves of garlic minced
about a cup of your favorite salsa
seasoning - I use a mix of onion powder, cumin, chili powder, red pepper flakes, ground pepper, paprika, garlic powder, and oregano
half head of lettuce chopped
your favourite blend of shredded cheese
sour cream, if'n you like



I got out my biggest Wolfgang Puck fry pan and poured in a turn of the pan of the oil. As it got up to medium heat, I added garlic, onion, and peppers; then let these get soft - about 10 minutes.
Next I added the meat and browned it.


I drained the grease and turned up the heat a wee bit. I added the seasoning, the tomatoes and salsa, and about a cup of water. Stir occasionally. This simmered uncovered for maybe 20-25 minutes - until most of the water was absorbed or boiled off.

Find yourself a big old mixing bowl, break up a couple handfuls of chips, add a bed of lettuce, pour in the meat, top with cheese aplenty and some salsa, and sit down with your fork and a cold beverage and enjoy!!



No comments: